“Birthdays are just personalized New Years.”― Josh Henderson
Today marks my 61st trip around the sun.
I really haven’t celebrated since my parents’ passing.
However, today there are eleven things I wish I could tell my younger self from this vantage point of life:
- Your body was created by God to house your spirit. Your spirit is the essence of who you are. Not your hair, shape, weight, or your acne. So ignore those people who may tease you, call you names, make snide remarks, and talk behind your back. They aren’t worth your time. You were made in the image of God – that makes you beautiful just as you are. Please heed these words. Nobody told me this and I have spent nearly my whole life being self-conscious and hating my body. To love yourself you have to love your whole self! The low self-esteem that hating my body caused let me to wander down paths that didn’t do a lot of good and I had to work very hard to heal from. Always remember, you are amazing just as you are and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
- Who cares if your parents can’t shop in the big department stores or your mom makes your clothes. You live in a house full of love. Money isn’t everything and someday when you are older you won’t remember the gifts you received or clothing you wore, but you will remember that your house was full of love.
- Read everything you can get your hands on, especially the Bible.
- Study hard – especially in math – even if you hate it
- Listen to everything your parents and grandparents say about family. Ask them to tell stories about their growing up years. Someday they’ll be gone and you will want to know.
- Now for one of the tough ones – boys. Who cares, really. I know you do, but boys are pigs. Teenage boys are a bundle of raging hormones and they only want to have sex – just ask them – if they’re honest they will admit it. They not only want you to say yes, but they have big mouths and will spread the news far and wide that they had sex with you. Listen to me carefully: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SAY YES – IT’S OKAY TO SAY NO!!!! Saying yes will turn things around in your brain and make you think that sex = love (it doesn’t). Speaking from experience, sex without love is a hollow experience that will tear down your self-esteem. Sex with love is amazing. WAIT FOR LOVE!
- Another tough one – men. I know this isn’t teenage stuff but you have to be prepared, girlfriend. If your man hits you, talks down to you, calls you names, threatens you, does anything that makes you uncomfortable physically or verbally after you have asked them to stop, has an affair, etc. etc., etc., GET OUT!!!!! You do not have to put up with it. If you think there is no way out, call someone to help. Don’t have a career? Get one. You are worth far more than to be treated like a piece of garbage in the landfill. Allowing someone to treat you like that is not love, it is abuse, plain and simple.
- Love will come when you aren’t even looking and with someone whom you would never pick for yourself. God has a way of arranging these things for your greater good. Trust Him and don’t rush the process by wasting your time on stupid people.
- Enjoy your childhood – it goes by too fast
- Be kind and if you can’t, be quiet
- Always, always, always, be grateful!
XO Lisa ❤️
P.S. – Happy day of your earth birth! You are a miracle!